Medically underwritten mortality studies (MUMS)
The business need
Trustees and organisations need to assess the longevity of defined benefit pension scheme members – but are plagued by wildly varying estimates. Traditional methods of assessment are flawed, relying on projecting analysis of postcodes – and can vary greatly, since they are based on assumptions not solid information.
MorganAsh provides an alternative approach to scheme valuation, which can be combined and compared with traditional methods to give a different perspective. We assess the health of individual scheme members and then estimate their longevity, using long-established life insurance medical underwriting techniques. This evidence-based approach has typically shown variations of 5–10% in valuations, resulting in changes in valuations of millions of pounds.
- Telephone surveys undertaken by qualified nurses, experienced in working in the insurance sector.
- Well-defined, structured, proven service.
- Evidence-based approach provides longevity estimates based on real data of the actual scheme.
- Provides evidence-based, improved-accuracy scheme longevity valuations.
- Resolves valuation arguments.
- Prepares for future buy-in/-out transactions.
- Improves risk management, notably for Solvency II.
- Assists negotiations for funding requirements.
- Facilitates mergers and acquisitions activity.